Sunday, October 7, 2018

Thoughts and concerns about children and technology

Children, today, are growing up in a much different world than ever before in comparison to previous generations. Technology has officially taken over all aspects of our lives. Over the course of the last several weeks, I have been covering different topics on technology and emerging media and how they can be used by way of self-growth and professional development. I would like to tilt the board just a little to discuss some of the concerns we are facing with the current generation of children being raised in this digital age. Most people, nowadays, have acquired multiple devices both for themselves and for their children. Technology has quickly inserted instant gratification into the way we learn and entertain ourselves and our children. We have become so connected that we actually have to put forth effort just to put our devices down and really connect with people. Laws have had to be put in place just to keep drivers off of their phones on the road. It has become acceptable for groups of people to go out to eat at a restaurant and instead of interacting with one another they are on their phones. That is just about as disrespectful as not taking your hat off while indoors. Yes, I'm from the South. Now, I am not a parent in the sense that I do not have any children of my own, but I did stumble upon parenthood in a more non-traditional sense. I have two beautiful nieces that I have had the pleasure of being a great part of their upbringing. Then, I have my 4-year old godson whom I have been caring for over the past year. I would caution you, however, to not come to me for parenting advice but I do feel as though I have been able to make certain observations about children and the effects of technology.

One of the observations I have made is that there are two types of parents when it comes to monitoring screen time. There is the parent that regularly monitors and limits their child or children's screen time. Then, there is the parent who does not limit their children at all. Neither method is right or wrong. It all falls down to the individual child and the choices parents make for them. Personally, I'm a firm believer that all good things that we enjoy should be consumed in moderation much like the food we eat. The way in which we use technology today is still a little new in that there are not currently enough studies available to determine the lasting effects of technology on childhood development. One mom blog sheds light on a study that highlights the shifts in child behavior after using technology which includes effects on sleep, attention, and learning, along with a higher incidence of obesity and depression. She goes on to explain how her own child displayed aggressive behavior (screaming and hitting) after it comes time to turn off a computer game that he/she had been playing for 30 minutes. I related to this because I have experienced similar behaviors with my godson when it comes time to turn off the television for bed time.

Many times have I witnessed a child trying to get one of their parent's attention while the parent is greatly consumed in their own device to notice. Then, the parent gets upset with the child for doing exactly the same thing. If you are looking to set limits for your child, I think it will be important to set limits for yourself as well. Children lead by example after all. Technology has becoming more and more of a distraction. As children grow, they seem to be spending less time outdoors with their friends and more time indoors secluded on their devices. The same could, also, be said about some adults. I know that I have been guilty of this at times.

Technology is a great tool to further engage children in education and occasionally for entertainment but, again, moderation is key. Technology has offered such an endless stream of entertainment for children that it has greatly impacted their physical activities. When I was a child, I couldn't wait to get home so that I could play outside with the other neighborhood kids, running around barefoot, having bicycle races, and playing hide-and-go seek. Everyday seemed like an adventure. Today's kids are much different as they would much prefer to come home and play their Xbox or PlayStation gaming consoles or be on their phones until late in the night. Another blogger sheds light on the drastic increase in childhood obesity that coincides with this digital age. According to Patel, this is because technology encourages children to be sedentary.

If any of this resonates with you and what you are experiencing with your own child, then I encourage you to evaluate your family's technology consumption. You do not have to completely rid yourself of your devices but perhaps set some limits and designating more time for physical activities and outdoor play for your children. It will be difficult initially and you may get some resistance from the kids, but I assure you that you will all be more grateful for it. You can also find creative ways to use technology to promote family activities. My mom once told me about this cool app called Geocaching which is now known as the world's largest treasure hunt. I, actually, didn't even think about it until now. Users plant their treasures, which may just be a child's trinket or book, in different places and mark its location on the app for other user's to find. I believe this would be a fun way to incorporate technology and outside adventures with your family. It can be a once a week or even a once a month thing. You may or may not find a treasure, as some are much harder to find than others, but either way its the journey that takes precedence over the destination. Plus, its an experience you can share with your children and create memories with.

Thanks for reading. Have you ever gone Geocaching? Do you know of any other similar apps that encourages such adventures? Please feel free to share your thoughts and experiences on this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beauty in Networking and Relationship Building

"Networking is not about collecting contacts! Networking is about planting relations" -Michael Rajiv Shah I have made it to...