Sunday, August 26, 2018

Should we be afraid of of the big bad data?

As the digital world we have come to know continues to evolve, it is not often that we find ourselves without some sort of device that could give us instant access to the information that it holds. Questions come up all the time and if we do not know the answers then we can simply Google it. Then, BOOM, 0.2 seconds later we have over 1 million answers at our fingertips to look through. Now, that's some Big Data. Google then takes the data we created from our searches and uses is it to determine any trends on certain topics.Yes, we create data too. So much, in fact, that it has been predicted that by 2020 about 1.7 megabytes of new data will be created by each person on Earth per second. I was shocked to learn this as well but it really puts things in perspective. It makes one wonder about the safety of their privacy. Have you ever thought about the type of data you are putting out in the digital sphere? Like your travel and shopping habits, the social engagements that you attend, children's milestones, and even your health. Once you put it on the internet, it is there forever and can be used to track your behaviors. One of the most frightening things about this is that we don't know what exactly is being done with this information or who is accessing it.

Have you ever gotten the feeling that you are being listened to? Are you being stalked by ads online? There have been instances where after having a conversation about wanting or needed something, I would pull up my Facebook app on my phone and see an ad for the item I was just discussing. It boggles my mind every time. Another time, there was a pair of shoes that I saw being advertised on Facebook and I would click on the link to see what the price was. I continued to see the advertisement for several months. But, since the cost was more than I was willing to spend, I sent the link to my mother and asked if she would get them for me as a Christmas gift. No joke, the moment I sent my mom the link was the moment that I never saw that advertisement again!

My small scenarios may seem insignificant to the overall picture of how our data output is being used. However, for me, it suggests that if my data is being used to influence my shopping habits then how else am I being directly affected? Or, indirectly, for that matter. Is the government using our data to spy on us? There are so many unknowns in the equation. It makes you question what you share about yourself, even your family and friends, on the World Wide Web. Everything from the places you have been, the friends you have hung out with, pictures from different moments in your life, and your political views are up in the clouds waiting to be transmitted and analyzed. Look back on some of the things you have Googled, the articles you have read, and the videos you have viewed. That is you creating your very own digital footprint that can be used to either influence you or track your behavior.  


Bernard Marr, who is an advocate for Big Data, points out some other major challenges in an article titled "Why is Big Data so Dangerous?." For businesses and organizations alike, the availability of big data presents a great opportunity to use and analyze information to their advantage. Had Blockbuster taken the time to do just that then, perhaps, they would be the most widely known streaming service right now instead of Netflix. Information is our greatest asset and if some of the old style business models don't take notice and adapt then they will likely get left behind. Thus, creating space for a new business model to emerge.

In my professional life, as a recruiter of higher education, I find data to be very useful and understand the value it holds from a business angle. In my web-based prospect system, I am able to run what we call an advanced find on all of our past, present, and prospective students. I can target certain information like their location, age, gender, and academic interests. When analyzing the data, I can establish any trends in certain locations and pinpoint locations that require nurturing. This data, can also, give me an idea of who our target market is and use that information to create social media advertisements. The social media platforms I manage weekly are Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Each of these platforms provide their own analytics tools to help you determine what types of posts are getting the most reach and interactions with your followers.

While there are just a few things worth being aware of when it comes to Big Data, I do not think it is something we should be afraid of. At least, not right now. Perhaps, be a bit more cautious about what you are putting into your own digital bread crumb trail. I do not believe we, as consumers, will ever grow tired of being able to easily access unlimited information from multiple devices. Even when it comes to organizations, the benefits outweigh the risks. In another article from Bernard Marr, demonstrates how Big Data Projects are changing the world in ways that would not have been possible before. Using data to predict and respond to both natural and unnatural disasters was just one of the examples. It was a great read and an interesting insight into the good that can come from Big Data.

What we need to be mindful of going forward, however, is what could happen should important information get in the wrong hands with the intention of causing destruction and chaos. What type of security, if any, is in place to prevent or respond to a possible crisis of this nature? Only time will tell.

Thank you for reading and hope you will come back for next week's topic!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beauty in Networking and Relationship Building

"Networking is not about collecting contacts! Networking is about planting relations" -Michael Rajiv Shah I have made it to...